Monday, February 19, 2024

From My Journal

TODAY IS:  February 19, 2024

AROUND ME: it's beginning to get daylight, vehicles are zipping up the road to work and the clock is ticking.

I AM PONDERING:  the cross of Christ, His death, burial, resurrection and ascension.

AMONG MY FAVORITE THINGS: 



This is my final month for the bulb subscription our daughter and son-in-law gave me for Christmas.  These are some of the most delicate Tulips that I've ever come across.  And they are all either pink or white.

BOOKS I AM CURRENTLY ENJOYING:  

The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment by Jeremiah Burroughs,  I read a small section in this book before falling asleep each night.  I've read this book several times now, as I try to make it a practice to read it once a year.

  Refreshment for the Soul is a collection of Richard Sibbes thoughts on different topics and is compiled as a devotional.  So, it will be an ongoing reading throughout this year.

Lila by Marilynne Robinson.

I AM THANKFUL FOR: good health!  It seems as though I've been down physically with one thing or another since the first of the year, but now I can say that I am feeling well again and able to be back in my regular routines!  Praise be to God!

NEVER TOO OLD TO LEARN In the summer of 2023 I had to purchase a new bread machine.  I was accustomed to using the dough cycle on my old machine and then putting it in my own bread pan, allowing it to rise again and then baking it.  I tried doing that with the new machine, which turned out to not be a good decision and ended up just baking it completely in the bread machine, even though we didn't care for the texture that much or the hole that the paddle left in the bread.  About three weeks ago, I decided to give it a try again...and, lo and behold, using the dough cycle worked beautifully.  I used a different recipe than I had used originally so don't know if that had anything to do with it or not.  But it's been wonderful to not have to purchase bread at the grocery store anymore.

FROM THE KITCHEN: 

  


This pie made up for the Christmas flop. 😊
It's made with sour cherries hand picked by Strong Heart in Hampshire County summer before last.  They caught my eye one day when I was getting something out of the freezer.

 SOMETHING I REALLY ENJOY:  


All things Tasha Tudor


A QUOTE TO REMEMBER: 



TO DO LIST FOR TODAY Laundry,  clean bathroom and mudroom

"So teach us to number our days, that we may present to You a heart of wisdom."
Psalm 90:12

22 comments:

  1. That pie looks soooo good! We love sour cherries. Yes it is wonderful to have homemade bread. Not sure if I told you but my darling 8 year old now makes the bread for our family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Lauren. And what a blessing that your 8 year old is making bread for your family. That's so awesome.

      Delete
  2. What a special gift from your daughter and son-in-law! I love tulips. Your pie looks wonderful. I'm so glad you're finally feeling better. You've really been through it so far this year! I like the prompts you're using here. I want to change mine on my Weekly Chat but I'm still mulling it over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I surely have enjoyed my gift from our daughter and son-in-law. It has definitely brightened up the months of December, January and February! Thank you for your kind words regarding the pie. Carroll asked me when I took it out of the oven if I was going to take a picture of it and I told him yes because I wanted proof that I really could make a decent crust. πŸ˜‚

      Delete
  3. yum to that pie!! good health is such a blessing and when I'm under the weather I want it all the more. The bulb gift is a great gift, I'll have to remember that for my gardening family lovers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen. You are so right... good health is such a blessing.

      Delete
  4. I love tulips! They are so pretty, and a sign of Spring.
    Your pie is beautiful. I'm thinking I should make a cherry pie for Bob. It's his favorite and now seeing yours made me think of it again.
    I have another hand out to mail to you. It's an interesting page with comparisons of Joseph and Jesus. No mail today so it's going to take a little longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just since I took the picture of the tulips two red ones have come out. I've certainly enjoyed them. I'm sure Bob will enjoy your efforts with a cherry pie. That and lemon are Carroll's favorites. Thank you for thinking of me with the handout. I'm really enjoying the study

      Delete
  5. Woohoo, well done on that Cherry pie and I'm glad for you that the bread machine is working to your satisfaction, now! PTL you are feeling a lot better. It is always good to ponder Jesus and what He did and does for us!! Happy new week to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ellen. I told Carroll this evening that this summer when our fruit bushes produce that I want to go ahead and make my pie filling and can it. In really thankful for the bread machine. I would prefer to use my hands to knead the dough myself, but it causes too much pain in my hands. Have a wonderful week, my friend.

      Delete
  6. I love having tulips … yours are beautiful and what a lovely gift to receive. That pie looks scrumptious and glad you are in the mend. Tasha Tudor is a favorite of mine too. My mom loved her as well and always wanted the life she had… deep down my mom missed the old ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tina, for your kind words. I've admired Tasha Tudor for many years...I think it has to do with her live of gardening. She reminds me s
      Somewhat of my grandmother.

      Delete
  7. Glad you're feeling well, Dianna.
    I'm fond of tulips, bread, pies. You seem to do great with all three of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Duta. It's wonderful to be up doing my work. And thank you for your kind words regarding my flowers and baking skills. You are so kind.

      Delete
  8. The tulips are so pretty! I'm guessing you can replant them in your yard. I'm glad you're feeling better. I know what you mean--our January was pretty much taken up with various ills. It feels so good to get some energy back.

    I've never used a dough machine. My earliest attempts at making bread resulted in very dense loaves, so I gave up. We don't eat much bread, anyway. I'm glad you were able to find what worked best for you.

    The pie looks great! How fun to find it in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I intend to plant the bulbs in different flower beds. I hope they will grow. I've heard some say that they never had luck getting them to bloom again but I still want to try.

      I'm so glad that you are feeling better, as well as Jim. You guys had a rough start to not only the new year, but also retirement.

      Thank you for your kind words regarding the pie. When I saw those cherries in the freezer I knew I needed to make a pie... and Carroll was glad I did.😊

      Delete
  9. Such pretty tulips.
    Oh my that pie looks sooooo good. I'd love a piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen. We need to have you and Ken over for dinner one evening and I will make cherry pie for dessert. How's that sound?

      Delete
  10. Hello! I am so happy to hear you are feeling well! And can I stop in for some coffee and a slice of that pie?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Sweet Friend. Thank you for your kind words. I can't begin to say how wonderful it is to feel well again!

      And, yes, you are certainly welcome to come for pie and coffee. xx

      Delete
  11. LD....My wife is the reader. I am working on one about the King and Country's family life written by their mother. I love the tulips, I have never done that. Your pie for me a diabetic looks like a wonder thing anyway. I can remember eating lots of pie and your's is beautiful. I can only post this way as Ijust can't get things to work any other way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. L.D. I am sorry that you have issues when you try to comment, but I appreciate that you try.

      The tulips are the last of a three month subscription that our daughter and son-in-law gave me for Christmas. I have certainly enjoyed them.

      Thank you for your kind words regarding the pie. It's one of my husband's favorites.

      Delete