Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Becoming Mrs. Lewis - a book review

 


Becoming Mrs. Lewis by Patti Callahan is historical fiction book based on the life of Helen Joy Davidman Gresham, who later became the wife of C.S. Lewis.  

Joy was born in New York in 1915 to Jewish parents who were very critical of her, causing her to feel as though her worth was based on how she measured up to their standards.  An example of this is if her report cards were not straight A's she was criticized.  A curious side note...she scored 150 on an IQ test, she finished high school at the age of 14 and entered Hunter College in the Bronx at the age of 15, earning her BA at the age of 19 in 1935.  In 1936 she received her Masters in English Literature while she was also teaching school.  Also in 1936, Joy had several of her poems published.  She decided at that point to resign her teaching position and started writing and editing full time.

Joy was a sickly child with having thyroid problems, crooked spine, scarlet fever, and anemia.  At one point when she was at Hunter College she began to question the American economic system after witnessing a hungry orphan jumping off a roof and she actually joined the communist party in 1938 for a period of time.

Another area of her life in which Joy always felt put down by her parents was her physical appearance.  Her parents were always comparing her to her cousin Renee, who they said was more beautiful and gracious than Joy.  

The negativity in Joy's life caused her to look for "love" in all of the wrong places and she married William Gresham in 1942, thinking she had actually found true love.  Gresham was also a writer, but also became an unfaithful and abusive alcoholoic husband and father to Joy and their two boys.  One day in 1946, Bill called Joy and told him that he was having a nervous breakdown and he didn't know when he would return home.  Joy suffered a defeated emotional state after that.  She went to the boys' nursery and knelt on the floor and realized a Presence there.  It was at that point that she realized she was not in charge of her own fate, as she had believed as an atheist.  Bill did return home and when he did they began as a couple to look to religion for answers for their troubled marriage.  At one point, they wrote a letter to C.S. Lewis asking him questions because he had once been an atheist.  

It was through that initial letter, which Jack (Lewis) did respond to, that a three year correspondence between Jack and Joy began.  Joy became quite ill and the doctor told Bill that Joy needed a change or she was going to die.  And Joy's first trip to England came about.  She went in search of medical help, to do research for a book she was working on, and to meet Jack.  

Her cousin Renee, who she had always been compared to as a child, had fled to Bill and Joy's home in refuge from her abusive husband and when the doctor told Bill that there had to be a change for Joy, Renee convinced Joy to go to England while she remained there to take care of the house and the children.

Those are the circumstances under which Joy met Jack for the first time.  I would love to go into detail here about how things went for them, but, honestly, if I did that you, the reader, would have everything spoiled for you.  

Before closing this review,  I want to share that I decided I don't really care for historical fiction when I realized that all of the letters between Jack and Joy in the book were not their actual letters.  Their actual letters were destroyed so the author did not have them to go by.  That was somewhere around page 84.  But I kept reading and before I knew it, I had finished the almost 400 pages of the book in two days!  

I have been a C.S. Lewis fan for many years and this American woman that had so overtaken his heart drove me to dig deeper.  I watched Shadowlands.  There are two versions of it...a two hour and a 50 minute version.  The 50 minute version of it depicts Joy as a more quiet individual, whereas the two hour version depicts her probably in more true to her character as an American woman raised in the Bronx - New York City.  And it is also the version that her youngest son, Douglas Gresham, was involved in the making.  

From there, I started watching some interviews of the author, Patti Callahan.  The one I enjoyed the most of those was one done at C.S. Lewis College.  I think the reason that one was my favorite is because Patti responded to a question from someone in the audience about the "fiction" involved.  Patti explained how she went about writing the book.  She began with the "bones"...which are the facts, such as when they were born, died, published different works, etc.  Then she said the next layer is the skin...which she described as the emotions of the people in the book.  She referred to the many works of both Joy and Jack that made their emotions very clear.  The last layer is how she "dressed" the characters and she said that is where things like the letters between the two of them came about.  She said she prefers to think of it as her being "inspired" rather than "imagining " them because she had so much material from so many sources and interviews she did with other people that it was easy to be inspired about what they would have written to one another.

I also watched several interviews done by different people with Douglas Gresham, Joy's youngest son.  He and Jack became quite close, especially after Joy died from cancer.  In the interviews he was asked about the book Becoming Mrs. Lewis by Patti Callahan and he said it was a very well written book...that there were a couple of minor errors, but overall quite well written.  Patti had had no contact with him prior to the book being published, but they have become good friends since.

I know there are mixed reviews on how this was received, but I have to say that I enjoyed the book in spite of the negativity involved.  I read it with an open mind because it's like when we are in relationship with others in our lives.  We can't just write someone off because they may view certain aspects of life differently than we do.  Joy was definitely a high spirited woman, but when she came to the Lord, and the relationship she developed with Jack her life's views changed and I found her to be quite relatable.

12 comments:

  1. I read this book last year and really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that you enjoyed it, Mari. Reading this made me hungry to learn more. That's how I came across the interviews with Patti Callahan and Douglas Gresham. It also led me to ordering a couple more of Jack's books as well as one by Douglas Gresham.

      Delete
  2. I'm intrigued! Thank you for this very well written review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Monica, and thank you for your kind words.

      Delete
  3. I loved Patti Callahan's Book - Once Upon a Wardrobe - also fiction regarding C.S. Lewis. I'm looking forward to reading this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh...I need to read that one. It sounds really good.

      Delete
  4. A great review. I'm not 100 percent sure I would enjoy the historical mixed with fiction but I certain would like to learn/hear more. I'm curious - did the book give much detail or insight into Joy's conversion or salvation experience??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennifer. To answer your question, yes, it does go into detail about Joy's conversion. I didn't want to go into too much detail in the review for fear of giving away too much.it is a good read.

      Delete
  5. I've seen this book around for quite some time, but I never really knew what it was about, for some reason. But now I do, thanks to your good review, Dianna! :) Thanks for sharing about it here. Next time I see it at my library, I'll grab a copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure that you will enjoy it, Lisa. It's sad in parts, happy in others and overall a good read. Thank you for your kind words, friend.

      Delete
  6. I had mixed emotions about the way the author handled some things, but there's no doubt she's a gifted writer. It was interesting to imagine Lewis fleshed out in his everyday life.

    I like historical fiction like Lynn Austin's Chasing Shadows, where some of the incidents are based on real people, and the overall setting is historical, but it's not a fictionalized biography.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, I think that one thing that really helped me enjoy this book was watching the interviews with Callahan and Douglas Gresham and also watching the two versions of Shadowlands. Patti's explanation about how she puts together a historical fiction novel made it a little easier for me to deal with her "inspired" letters between Jack and Joy .
      I have to agree with you that books like Chasing Shadows is more practical when it comes to historical fiction.

      Delete