Wednesday, March 27, 2024

Inhaling Grace - A Book Review

 


Inhaling Grace by Alan Fadling is a 60-day devotional that I had purchased last autumn because it includes a list at the back of the book of how to also use the book as a Lenten devotional.  Unfortunately, I forgot about the Lenten devotional part of it, as we have been using a Lenten devotional by Sinclair Ferguson.

I have read through these devotions in Inhaling Grace rather quickly to get the general idea of what the book is about.  I really enjoyed the reads and will definitely be keeping this book for the Lenten season next year.  I will put it with the other Lenten devotionals that we have so that I don't forget about it by the time next year rolls around. 

Each day's devotion is just two pages long and consists of a particular topic, a Scripture verse, the author's thoughts on the verse and the end always consists of two questions or perahps ideas for further study.

One of the devotions dealing with prayer asks the question in the title, Prayer: God-Focused or Me-Focused?  The author uses Psalm 118:1 as the Scripture and then elaborates on what he means by God-focused or Me-focused.  Basically, when we pray are our prayers all about me or do we actually focus on the God whom we worship?  I'd like to share a quote that stood out to me in this particular devotion.

"I've found it helpful to return to thanksgiving every time I notice my confession in prayer becoming self-condemning.  Turning my focus again on my good and gracious God brings refreshment as well as the desire to keep praying.  Gratitude is exhaling the grace I'm inhaling."  Alan Fadling...page 37

A second devotion that I would like to share is found under the title Words That Bless - Part 1.  The Scripture used was Psalm 19:14.  The author goes on to explain what he means by the word "blessing"...not what you say before a meal, not something that your pastor says that is encouraging at the end of the service, but rather...

"Blessing is speaking words of substantial goodness to one another that actually bring about that goodness in another's life.  That's worth saying again: I'm talking about speaking words of substantial goodness to one another that actually bring about that goodness in another's life."   Alan Fadling...page 47

I would definitely recommend this book if you are looking for a devotional.  The daily readings are short, but they are also thought provoking!

18 comments:

  1. Good morning Dianna! I some times feel like my prayers are a "wish list" to God. It's hard when you have such a great need to remember that Jesus told us how to pray and it always starts with praise to The Father. This sounds like a great devotional to have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a good resource for getting our thoughts God focused when it comes to praying.

      Delete
  2. sounds lovely! I really like the god focused or me focused. It's so easy to think I know what is best!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Words I would like to remember, "Gratitude is exhaling the grace I'm inhaling". Hey Dianna, I also enjoyed reading your last post. Hope you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked that concept too, Melba. Thank you for your kind words.

      Delete
  4. Sounds good!! Thanks for the traveling prayers!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a good book. And you are welcome for the prayers. 😉

      Delete
  5. I don't have a devotional just for Lent, but this sounds good. I like thought provoking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are using a Lent devotional by Sinclair Ferguson this year. It's a bit more involved than Inhaling Grace, but I have put this one on the shelf where I will see it next year. It has 60 devotions in it but there's a chart in the back that you use for Lent. I like thought provoking too.

      Delete
  6. Inhaling Grace sounds like a good book to add to the list of books-to-look-for. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would enjoy it Granny M. You are welcome.

      Delete
  7. This sounds like a good book for a devotional at all times, and not just at Lent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it actually has 60 devotions in it which is more than is needed for Lent.

      Delete
  8. I suppose the devotional books are of great help in making people grow closer to God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy books like this, Duta, because often times I see a different perspective when seeing Scripture from someone else's view point.

      Delete
  9. There are a lot of devotionals out there so it is good to hear why some are good to read. I'm sure there are a ton to lay aside. :)
    Love that encouragement not to focus on me me me all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite by far is the one of Richard Sibbes, but this one was recommended to me by a friend.

      Delete