Tuesday, May 28, 2024

From Farm to Table - Part 1

 Earlier in the week I mentioned that I would post more about how the mushrooms went from farm to table.  I've decided to make it a two part series so that it doesn't take forever to read. :)

HOW WE GOT STARTED GROWING MUSHROOMS

Inflammation is always a big health concern, especially when one deals with arthritis or fibromyalgia.  Strongheart and I both had been doing some research about foods that were good to deal with inflammation and both found that mushrooms were close to the top of the list.  We both enjoy mushrooms and so Strongheart decided to give growing them a try.  He cut the logs (40 of them) from the proper types of trees that Shitakes and Lion's Mane needed.  The logs have to be cut in January and February, so he cut his during those months of 2022.

THE PROCESS


The logs were cut and stacked.


The evenly spaced holes for the plugs were drilled.


This is what one of the plugs looks like.


The plug is then tapped into one of the holes in the log.



And then the hole is sealed over with wax.

NEXT...
comes the wait.  We don't have woods on our property, but we have neighbors who do and they graciously allowed Strongheart to place all of the logs in their woods.  

As you might guess, rain is essential and the year that Strongheart started this project was a year when we didn't have much rain.  

In 2023 we had enough rain that last fall we were able to have a few of the Shitake mushrooms to eat.  SO yummy!  The Lion's Mane still hadn't done much at all in the way of growth.

While we have been enjoying the Shitakes all spring (and continue to wait for Lions Mane), we'd been just having enough to eat off several times a week.  And then Saturday of last week we had a bumper crop...the kind that you harvest at one time and preserve!  

In Part 2 I will share that process with you.

















22 comments:

  1. I had no idea that there was such a process to growing mushrooms! I just thought you found them in the woods and recognized which were edible. I really like mushrooms and it's been the last year that I've actually bought the fresh ones in the store. Before I got them in a can or jar. I cringe at that thought now! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...it is quite a process, isn't it? The hardest part of the process is the WAITING! lol But it's worth the wait, in the end.

      Delete
    2. Sandi, I think a lot of people think that. We do enjoy looking for Morel mushrooms in the wild each spring.

      Delete
  2. I've never known anyone to grow mushrooms. This is so interesting. I love mushrooms but Bob doesn't like them at all.
    Now I'm wondering how you preserved them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a few people in our area that we have come across that also grow some mushrooms...only they order a kit that has spores enough for a log or two. Carroll believes in going into things on a larger scale...hence, the 40 logs. It's definitely worth the effort though because our harvest this year has been amazing! I'm really looking forward to the Lions Mane. They are supposed to be the #1 mushroom for inflammation. There's evidence of them on the logs in the woods, but definitely no where near the size they need to be.

      Delete
  3. Interesting! I didn't know there was such a process to growing mushroom, either. Unfortunately, I have never learned to like mushrooms. I haven't found them to have much of a flavor, but I haven't cared for the rubbery texture. But that may because I have never had them fresh. I am finding that makes a lot of difference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barbara. The Shitake mushrooms are used in Asian diets a good bit in place of meat because of the flavor and texture of the Shitakes are similar to that of meat. A lot of people don't care for mushrooms because of their texture, so you aren't alone in feeling that way. :) But I'm also wondering how much that has to do with fresh versus canned. Tomorrow's post will show how I have gone about preserving them for enjoyment this winter.

      Delete
  4. How cool! I love mushrooms of all kinds. I might do some container gardening in my new house (next year) but this may bee too much for my in town space. Thanks for sharing this process!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Monica. Tomorrow I will show the process of how I preserved them.

      Delete
  5. Wow! I had no idea the process was so involved in growing mushrooms. I love mushrooms and eat them often. They are full of so many wonderful health benefits. Looking forward to part two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julia! The most labor intensive part is getting the logs and drilling the holes, tapping in the spore plugs and then sealing the logs. Once that is finished, it's just a matter of putting them into the woods and leaving the rest to God! Then comes the yummy part of harvesting and enjoying them.

      Delete
  6. Such an interesting process and result. Patience is rewarded with your bumper crop. I'll have to show Greg these posts. Have a great last few days of May!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ellen, for your kind words. I hope you have a wonderful remainder to the month of May!

      Delete
  7. Wow that is so interesting and a lot of work!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lot of work, but Carroll enjoyed doing it. Glad your internet is back up and running again!

      Delete
  8. What an interesting adventure! Lots of work but rewarding too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never seen this method! Wow...but the mushrooms are delicious!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Donna, they are definitely delicious.

      Delete
  10. you are so adventurous in your gardening! How exciting to do something like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen, for your kind words. I have to be honest and said that my husband is the adventurous one. I just go along for the ride. 😊

      Delete