Wednesday, June 19, 2024

A Few Fun Excursions

 Our son wasn't able to take off from work the entire time we were there, but we have such a special daughter-in-law. She took us to several different antique shops and antique malls. 

I found a few treasures...



The Blue Willow platter is a treasure because of its age.  If you have read here for any amount of time, you may remember about our trip last summer when my cousin gifted me with several very old (late 1800's) Blue Willow plates that have an irregular edge to them as part of their design.  This platter is the same way and is dated 1832.


I have been looking for a Salt Box for quite a while.  Right before we left this particular morning to go to this antique mall I said, "Today I am going to look for a salt box."  When we walked into the building and the first thing we saw was the above salt box all three of our mouths dropped open!  It couldn't have been much plainer!  It was actually a part of a 14 piece canister set...it had canisters, spice jars, oil and vinegar, and the salt box.  My daughter-in-law loves blue and white as much as I do and she's always looking specifically for blue and white "tea" jars or canisters.  So everything worked out...and everyone was happy.  When the ladies at the antique mall were wrapping the pieces up for us they commented that that particular set had just been brought in that morning and they couldn't believe how quickly it sold!  The Lord does grant us the desires of our hearts.

Thank you for stopping by and allowing me to share my special finds.  I did also find some really unique baskets.  I don't have pictures of them or some of the other items that I was able to purchase.  Since we were flying and couldn't pack everything, I am awaiting a visit from our son and his family this fall when he will bring everything to me.






26 comments:

  1. What beautiful finds! I've learned to appreciate pretty china through your eyes. The platter is especially beautiful! I've never heard of a salt box. Interesting. I know you'll be so happy with the family comes to visit and you have all your goodies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Melanie. I've always loved dishes but I have learned so much from my friend Betsy. Salt boxes are so neat and I have wanted one for the longest time.

      Delete
  2. what great treasures to be adopted! we have a wonderful daughter in law and love spending time with her when our son is busy. Glad you had a fun time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen, for your kind words. Daughter -in-laws are special people.

      Delete
  3. Hello! I am so happy you had a wonderful time! And how wonderful God put you in the right place at the perfect time to find your beautiful treasure! Welcome home, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Billie Jo. It truly was a wonderful time. Yes, He certainly did! We had a wonderful time, but it is also good to be home. xx

      Delete
  4. Your daughter-in-law knew just what type of place to take you to. I love the story of the salt box! God is so good to give us little gifts like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes she did, Barbara. We have so many similar tastes and interests so it wasn't too hard for her to figure out. 😊. I am still amazed when I think of the Lord's goodness in providing the salt box. It wasn't anything I had prayed about... just made the statement that it was what I was going to look for that day.
      And then He had it right out front where I wouldn't miss it because it was a huge antique mall.

      Delete
  5. Oh...I love stories like these. What a sweet experience to enjoy with your daughter-in-law!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it really was, Ellen. And because we like the same things (blue and white) she was so appreciative of the gift of everything else in the set.

      Delete
  6. I love your new treasures! Thanks for sharing them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Dianna what a great blessing! Your heart must have skipped a beat when you saw that lovely salt box! Yes God is good to give us things just because we want them. How precious and I love that both you and your daughter-in-law collect these treasures. Blue Willow is so special. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jenny. When I first saw the saltbox I just stood there and looked at it for a while. My daughter -in-law and I have similar tastes in many areas so we always enjoy going to antique stores together. I love my Willow Ware.

      Delete
  8. I love the salt box! It's so pretty. I've always loved those. Are you going to hang it on the wall?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julia. I've wanted one for a few years and was so happy to find this one. It's with the things that our son will bring this fall since we flew and didn't have room to bring it. I would really like to just keep it on the stove, but if it ends up being too big for that, I will hang it on the wall above the stove. It will definitely be a functional piece once I have it here at home.

      Delete
  9. Isn't God good? I love that He cares for us with the big things, but also things like this.
    Beautiful pieces and so nice to have as a remembrance of this trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes He is, my friend! Thank you for your kind words. xx

      Delete
  10. I'm so glad you were able to find some physical treasures along with the many memories and emotional treasures you made on your trip to Maine! Congratulations on your granddaughter's graduation. Special times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lisa. You summed it all up beautifully! xx

      Delete
  11. Wonderful new treasures for you and also for your DIL.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an amazing story! God’s timing is perfect.

    ReplyDelete