Monday, July 22, 2024

From My Journal

TODAY IS: July 22, 2024

AROUND ME: traffic going up and down our road, the sky is overcast and there's a 94% of rain today and tonight.  We are thankful for the 1/2 inch of rain that the Lord gave us last week!

I AM PONDERING: the lovingkindess of our Heavenly Father.  I've been sick with an upper respiratory infection for the last two weeks and in the middle of it I came down with a major fibromyalgia flare.  Yet He was in the midst of it all and gave me the time for a much needed rest during which time I was able to spend time doing a lot of reading, listening to preaching videos and more time for Bible study.  It made me think of 2 Corinthians 4:16...therefore we do not lose heart, but though our outer man is decaying, yet our inner man is renewed day by day."

AMONG MY FAVORITE THINGS:  being able to be at church.  I'd missed the last two Sundays in a row from being ill and I was able to be there yesterday.  It was so wonderful to be among my brothers and sisters in Christ and hear our pastor begin a new study.

 BOOKS I AM CURRENTLY ENJOYING 

  Refreshment for the Soul is a collection of Richard Sibbes thoughts on different topics and is compiled as a devotional.  So, it will be an ongoing reading throughout this year.

The Soul's Conflict  by Richard Sibbes

The Journals of Jim Elliot by Elisabeth Elliot

I AM THANKFUL FOR:  Strongheart's successful laser eye surgery this past week to unclog the drains in his eyes so that his eye pressures could go back to normal.  May God be praised for His mercy and protection!

FROM THE KITCHEN:   



My friend Granny Marigold who blogs by the same name, posted a picture a few weeks ago of her Mixed Berry Impossible Pie.  It looked so good and I have plenty of fruit in the freezer, so I looked up the recipe and gave it a try.  It's still amazing to me how the ingredients of this Bisquick Impossibly Easy pies is just all thrown into a pie dish and it develops its own crust, but I know the pie was delicious!

SOMETHING I REALLY ENJOY: 


The Stargazer Lily finally bloomed!

TO DO LIST FOR TODAY: Laundry.

"So teach us to number our days, that we may present to You a heart of wisdom."
Psalm 91:12


20 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about your illness and glad things are getting better now and you could go to church. It is good to be with the 'body' of Christ for worship and encouragement. That impossible pie sounds like something I could make. I'm not a traditional pie baker! Your star gazer is a beauty! We took an early morning walk (5:30am) since we have one more scorcher today before we start a wee cooldown. On our walk we listened to Johnny Mac on 1 John. We'll continue his series on our morning walks this week. Hope you regain more strength this week! Love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellen, thank you for your kind words. There's a whole variety of the impossible pie recipes. The mixed berry one was good and I have made the pumpkin one too. Listening to teaching while walking makes for a pleasant time.

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear that you weren't feeling well. Glad you were able to be in church yesterday! :)
    Happy to hear that Strongheart's eye surgery was successful! That pie looks delicious! I love berry pies. Blueberry is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Monica, for your well wishes. Blueberry pie is one of my favorites!

      Delete
  3. I'm glad to see you back! It's good to step away and have a rest from social media from time to time, especially when you don't feel well. I'm so sorry about the fibro flare. I sure understand those! Also glad to hear that Strongheart's surgery is done and praying for a good, continued outcome. The pie looks like a winner. If only there was an artificial sweetener that I felt comfortable using, I'd be baking a lot more. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you,my friend, for your kind words. I know you understand about fibromyalgia flares first hand. We are praying that when Strongheart goes back for the follow up that his pressures remain low. I'm sorry that there isn't an artificial sweetener that you feel comfortable using, but I do understand that. The word artificial says it all.

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad you are feeling better and able to go to church. I think that one of the joys we have as Christians is knowing God is in control, and even when hard things happen, we are able to see some blessings in the middle of it. Simple things like being able to be in church are one of our joys.
    Glad Strongheart is doing well. The pie looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mari, for your kind words. It's wonderful feeling like I am among the living again.😉

      Delete
  5. I'm so sorry you've not been feeling well. That is one thing nice about this stage of life--we can usually rest when we need to. Glad you're feeling better and had good fellowship with the Lord while ill. And I am so thankful your husband's eye surgery went well, too.

    I've seen several Impossible Pie recipes, both sweet and savory, but never tried one. But that looks so good, I may!

    The stargazer lily is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Barbara, I agree... and rest I did. 😊. Thank you for your kind words regarding both my being ill and Strongheart's surgery. He goes back at the end of the month for a follow up so we are praying that the pressures are still down.

      I will have to check out some savory impossible pie recipes. I've only seen the sweet. Thank you for mentioning that.

      Stargazer Lilies were something that my mom used to look forward to each summer. I was happy to see this one bloom.

      Delete
  6. I'm sorry to hear you were not well. Glad to learn about Stronghead's successful eye surgery. The berry pie looks awsome!
    Wishing you a lot of health and happiness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Duta, for your kind words. xx

      Delete
  7. Sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well.
    The lily is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dianna, I'm so happy you are back to feeling well and healthy again. I'm glad you were able to take the time you needed to heal, rest, and recover. And I'm happy to hear Strongheart's eye surgery was successful. That is good news! Your mixed berry pie looks delicious! I made a blueberry cobbler last week and everyone loved it. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julia, thank you for your kindness regarding my health and Strongheart's surgery. We are thankful. Your blueberry cobbler sounds wonderful! Hope your week is going well.

      Delete
  9. Oh that pie looks so Good! Glad you are feeling better these days!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am sorry you are having a flare, chronic illnesses are so disappointing!! May you be well soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen. I'm doing much better now. I'm working at getting my gut healed back up after being on the antibiotics for the upper respiratory thing. Hopefully, that will produce more energy.

      Delete