Wednesday, August 7, 2024

Rustic Tomato Tart

 


Rustic Tomato Tart

FOR THE CRUST:
1 1/2 cups flour
4 Tablespoons butter, cold and cut into cubes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
2-3 Tablespoons cold water

FOR THE FILLING:
3 Tablespoons Dijon or whole-grain mustard
2-3 large fresh tomatoes or 5 Roma tomatoes
2 Cloves garlic, minced
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons dried herbs (basil, parsley and oregano)
kosher salt
pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

FOR CRUST:  Mix salt and flour in medium bowl.  With pastry cutter cut in chilled butter until mixture has a cornmeal consistency.

In separate bowl, light beat egg; add 2 Tablespoons water.

Make a well in center of flour mixture and pour egg mixture in the well;  mix until well incorporated and a non-sticky dough forms.  If dough is still too dry, add third Tablespoon of water.

Knead dough into a ball, transfer to parchment paper or a Silpat; roll out into a 14 inch circle.

Transfer parchment paper or Silpat and dough to a rimmed baking sheet.

FOR FILLING:  Spread mustard over the unbaked crust until well covered, leaving about 1 1/2 inch border.

Slice tomatoes and arrange in a single layer in the center of the crust.  Scatter freshly minced garlic over tomatoes and drizzle with olive oil.  Sprinkle with kosher salt, red pepper flakes and dried herbs.

Top with sliced mozzerella; sprinkle with a bit more salt, pepper flakes, and basil.

Bring edges of crust up over the edges of tomato and cheese.

Bake in oven for 30 minutes until crust is golden and cheese is brown and bubbly.

Allow to cool 10 minutes, slices into wedges with a pizza cutter and enjoy!

I came across this recipe originally from 
Monica H, but I have done so many different variations of it that I feel comfortable sharing the full recipe here.

Some of the changes that I have made are:
* I use any tomatoes I have on hand...sometimes that's regular slicing tomatoes, other times, it's Roma tomatoes and other times it might be cherry tomatoes.

*I use whatever kind of mustard I have on hand.  We prefer the Dijon, but there have been times when I have used a grainy mustard and other times when I've used just plain yellow mustard.

*The recipe is calling for fresh mozzerella and that is something I seldom have on hand.  I find it a bit difficult to slice into nice slices.  I always have shredded mozzerella on hand so that is what I use and it does just fine.

*Garlic in a jar is just fine to use.  Ask me how I know. 😊

*Sometimes I use the dried herbs the recipe calls for and sometimes I just use Italian Seasoning.

I hope you will enjoy the recipe if you give it a try.
I only make this is the summer when we have a lot of tomatoes from the garden but it definitely is a tasty way to use them up.




10 comments:

  1. This looks sooo good! I'm sure I would like it, Bob isn't a fan of tomatoes though. He'll eat them in things like chili... but not as the main part. So, I'm saving this for sometime when he's not here. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you give it a try. We really enjoy it.

      Delete
  2. looks delicious! Like you, I have shredded cheese on hand all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious! I might cut the recipe in half and make a smaller one for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Melanie. I might mention that when I make this, it makes enough for the two of us for a meal, or if it's just one of us eating, there's enough for the next day. I just reheat it in the microwave on the pizza setting. But I bet it would be even better reheated in your air fryer.

      Delete
  4. I love the look and the ingredients of this tart! I'm a big fan of rustic. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've made a similar tomato tart in years past. I think I used mayo instead of mustard otherwise it was much the same. Once my tomatoes start ripening I'm sure I'll be making it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really enjoy the flavors and different textures of the tart. And depending on the kind of mustard and different varieties of tomatoes it seldom ever tastes exactly the same.

      Delete