Wednesday, August 21, 2024

The Journals of Jim Elliot ~ a book review

 



The Journals of Jim Elliot by Elisabeth Elliot is a book that I've been looking forward to reading.  I purchased the book last autumn and it had been on my bookshelf until January when I signed up for the TBR challenge over at MY READER'S BLOCK.  In order for a book to qualify for the challenge it had to be one that had been on my shelf previous to the beginning of the challenge.  This one definitely qualified!

Jim Elliot was a remarkable young man, filled with godly wisdom and a deep desire to serve his Lord.  He wasn't out to make a name for himself but his sole desire was to bring glory to God, not only in his preaching and ministry, but in his personal life as well.  "I do thank Thee that Thou hast not made me first a minister to men but first a priest toward Thee, to bring glory to Thee in the sanctuary." This was a journal entry from March 20, 1948 on his notes from Exodus 28. (page 40)  

"He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most high (the father's tent) shall abide under the shadow of the almighty.  Their ability as builders in God's house rested upon their acquaintance with the Master Builder.....if I display earnestness for God's work, He will give strength and wisdom to accomplish it."  This was a journal entry from March 23, 1948 on his notes from Exodus 31. (page 42)

To share a bit of the depth of his desire to please God, I share this quote from September 3, 1948 when Jim was on his way to a conference of the Plymouth Brethren. "Thoughts came to me afresh as to "lifting up" Christ.  My preaching last month was on the whole service for service's sake.  Oh, how I thank Thee, Father for my earthly father who has seen the truth as to motives for service.  It is not the winning of souls nor the spreading of missions that should inflame me." (page 82)

October 21, 1949 finds Jim entering in his journal about something he learned that day.  "Today I learned the meaning of that word, "For of Him and through Him and unto Him are all things." (Romans 11:36) as it applies to circumstances.  Every surrounding factor in my environment is from Him.  The administration of it to my personality is through His doing.  The effect of it in me and as my person reverberates the experience is unto Him, for His glory.  I am not, therefore, called to be a slave of circumstance, for circumstance is His servant on my behalf, doing for me what He would do were He here to do it.  In being His servant for my good, circumstance becomes also my servant, and from this time henceforth I shall be a fool for doubting."  (page 171)

There is one quote that Jim Elliot is noted for and it's found on page 174 under the entry for October 28, 1949..."He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose. "

I realize this review is getting a bit long, so I will share just one more quote that really spoke to me.  It's found on page 353 in the entry for December 5, 1951. It comes after he had preached that night and felt as though he hadn't prepared sufficiently, didn't have any liberty, or power.  "How sadly and how slowly I am learning that loud preaching and long preaching are not substitutes for inspired preaching."

Those are just a few of the entries that really spoke to my heart as I read.  As one might suspsect, the book read like a journal of Jim's life from January 1948 through December 31, 1955.  Two days later is when Jim, along with Pete Fleming, Ed McCully, Nate Saint and Roger Youderian set up a camp which they named "Palm Beach".  On January 6, 1956 the men's hopes were realized as two women and a man appeared out of the jungle!  They even spent hours with the missionaries.  All was looking as though the Indians were beginning to trust the missionaries.  It was just two days after this event that the five missionaries were speared to death.

I appreciated this book for so many reasons.  It has strengthened my faith, it encouraged my heart as I read of the love story between Jim and Elisabeth, and it helped me to understand where Jim stood theologically.

I would definitely recommend this book of 477 pages!  I have to admit that if the book had been edited by anyone other than Elisabeth I may have been a bit hesitant to read it simply because the details of their relationship were documented in Jim's journals.  Knowing that Elisabeth is the one that gave the go ahead (and why she did) on these particular entries helps me to understand her even better, as well as Jim and the struggles that he had.



14 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good read!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always loved that famous quote by him. I agree that having it edited by his wife was important. It sounds very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love missionary biographies and this could definitely be classified as such for the years it covers.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for this review. I've always thought of Jim Elliot with sadness because of the tragedy of his death but so inspired that Elizabeth returned there later and ministered to the those who had killed her husband and the others. The fact that Elizabeht edited this book makes me also feel that this is a good authentic telling. But then it came from journal entries so that would make it authentic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the entries are authentic but I think, for me, the reason it was important that Elisabeth did the editing is because of the details he enters in his journals concerning his and Elisabeth's relationship. With her doing the editing we know there wasn't anything added or taken away.

      Delete
  4. Some relatives of McCulley and Elliot were part of the churches that the Bible Camp (originally a Plymouth Brethren Bible Camp) we attended was supported by while we lived on the West side of the state. Truthfully, it was sad to see the roads that some of the descendants took with such a strong legacy behind them. We had our challenges with the Plymouth Brethren denomination but it was good to grow alongside some of these churches. I agree that the fact that the book was edited by Elizabeth is good. That quote about preaching is good. :) I appreciate your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ellen. I enjoyed hearing about the connection you had with some of the McCulley and Elliot relatives because of the camp.

      It is sad to see descendants go in different directions when they had such a strong legacy in the beginning. It's kind of like how churches today are going.

      From what I gathered from my reading of this book, Jim also had differences with some of the Plymouth Brethren.

      I thought you would like the quote about preaching. 😉

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the reminders of this book! I've read it at least twice, if not more, and probably will again some time. It encouraged me to know that this man, often considered a spiritual giant, though so young, had his struggles, too. Yet his focus was on serving and glorifying God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't have said it better myself, Barbara. He definitely had his struggles, but he was always taking them to the Lord because his desire was always to glorify God.

      Delete
  6. Amazing quote on page 174! Sounds like a great read... one that would take me a very long time to get through. Thanks for sharing this review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read Through Gates of Splendor decades ago, but I love books comprised of journals! I checked and they have this on Audible. I listen while I walk! Thanks for this, Dianna! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Through Gates of Splendor is one of the first Elliot books that I read as a Christian. It had quite the impact on my life. I hope you will enjoy listening to Jim's journals as you walk each morning. xx

      Delete