Tuesday, November 28, 2023

Hearty Turkey Stew

 

Picture courtesy of Pinterest

Before Thanksgiving I found this recipe through a lady I watch on YouTube.  I kept it in mind for the leftover turkey I knew we would have and gave it a try today.  It was SO delicious!  I thought I would share the recipe with you...because we all want to share goodness with others, right?

Hearty Turkey Stew

4-5 strips of bacon, diced
1 leek
2 carrots cut into large pieces
2 stalks celery diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp. flour, heaped
4 cups chicken or turkey stock
2 cups cooked turkey or chicken
2 potatoes, large cut into large pieces
2 bay leaves
1 tbsp. fresh thyme leaves or 1 tsp. dried thyme
1 tbsp. fresh chopped parsley
salt and pepper to taste
1/3 cup heavy cream (optional)

Cook bacon in a large Dutch Oven over medium heat.  Drain excess bacon fat but 2 tbsp.  Add sliced leeks, carrots, celery and thyme and cook for 5 minutes over medium low heat, add minced garlic and cook for 1 minute longer.

Add 2 heaped tablespoons of flour and mix, then add the stock gradually scaping down the bottom of the pot, bring to a boil, add salt and pepper to taste.

Add 2 potatoes in large chunks, turkey, bay leaves and cook uncovered in a preheated 350 F oven for 45 minutes.

Once the stew is cooked, stir in heavy cream, if desiered.  Sprinkle with chopped parsley before serving.

JUST A  COUPLE OF PERSONAL NOTES:

If you don't care for leeks, you can totally leave them out.  Strongheart grows our leeks and I freeze them for use in winter soups.  So I did use leeks and it was really good.

Potatoes...We do not keep white potatoes in the house now, but I had sweet potatoes aplenty from what Strongheart grew in the garden.  So, I used those and it also was really good.

Oven...if you don't want to put this in the oven for the 45 minutes or you don't have a Dutch Oven or pot that you can put in the oven, the lady on YouTube just cooked her potatoes separately on the stove and added them in at the end and then cooked everything on the stove top for about 20-25 minutes or until the veggies are all tender.

"Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God."
1 Corinthians 10:31



12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hello Rajani. I did visit your blog and commented on your last post. Perhaps you just didn't see it?

      Delete
  2. Wow that looks delicious! Yesterday I made some sweet potato chips (fries) for the children. They thought it was the best thing they’ve ever tasted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lauren. It really is a good recipe. Glad to hear that the children enjoyed the sweet potato chips. We really enjoy them, too!

      Delete
  3. I will be making some soup today! Happy Thanksgiving :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The temperatures are definitely right for soup right now! One of my favorite soup recipes came from you...the potato and leek soup.

      Delete
  4. This sounds really good. It's good to have options for turkey leftovers as well as chicken. I make a turkey bone soup where I boil the turkey carcass for an hour or so, strain it, then cook carrots and onion in the broth and add salt, pepper, and garlic powder along with chopped turkey leftovers and rice. Lately we've tried frozen riced cauliflower in place of half the rice to help my husband keep his carbs down, and it worked well. So next time I'll probably just use the riced cauliflower.

    At first I thought this recipe sounded similar to one I use with turkey kielbasa, but when I looked it up, it only has in common potatoes, carrots, broth or stock, parsley, and bacon. :-) I was thinking it used thyme, but it uses sage: https://barbaraleeharper.com/2008/02/09/kielbasa-sausage-stew/.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh...sage would work well too! I'll keep that in mind for the next time I make this soup.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for sharing this recipe, it sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete