Thursday, February 29, 2024

Chasing Shadows - a book review

 


Chasing Shadows by Lynn Austin is a story about three women and how God works in each of their lives to strengthen their faith.  

The first woman is Lena, a Dutch woman who farms alongside her husband.  Her father was the pastor of the local church in the village close to her farm.

The second woman is Ans, Lena's daughter, who was tired of living on the farm and desired to move to the city.  She does move to Leiden and acquires a job caring for the wife of a professor at the university in Leiden.  The wife's name is Eloise, who has had much trauma in her life when losing one family member after another because of the war.  Ans also meets a young man who is a police officer and they fall in love.

The third woman is Miriam, a young Jewish violinst who fled with her father to the Netherlands to escape persecution, as the Netherlands were neutral and kind to the Jewish people who immigrated there.

The story unfolds when the Nazis invade the Netherlands and eventually get to the town of Leiden. There are parts of the story that give a bit of insight into what the concentration camps were like.  Ans worked with the Dutch Resistance, always putting the needs of the Jewish people ahead of her own, as a result of the way God worked in her heart through everything that she went through.

I hesitate to say much more because I don't want to give away too much.  It's such a great read...sometimes not able to turn the pages fast enough to find out what was taking place next.  

One thing that I do want to emphasize is that even though this book is set during the time of the Second World War, the invasion of the Nazis in the Netherlands and the ill treatment of the Jews, the thing that I appreciated was that the focus was each of these women and how at one point their lives all began to intertwine and their relationships grew.  They each had a part to play in the war and the lives of their loved ones.  And especially how each of them grew deeper in  their relationship with God.

8 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you enjoyed this book! I especially liked that the author dealt with three different aspects of the war--the suffering of the Jews, the Resistance, and the difficulties on the home front--and the need for reliance on God in each. I've often read books about the treatment of Jews and the concentrations camps, or the Resistance, but rarely all three aspects together. There's even a fourth aspect in what Eloise suffered in the last war and how it affects her in this one, which I imagine would have been the case for several people who lived through both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read the same, Barbara. I think that is one reason that I enjoyed this book so much...because it did include all three. I have passed the book on to a friend and another one is in line after that. Highly recommend the book!

      Delete
  2. I'll have to pass on the recommendation to my avid reader friends!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love a book review that includes "couldn't turn the pages fast enough!" I will have to look for this one. Thanks for the recommendation...and for stopping by my blog earlier today. It always makes my day to have you visit the blog!! I do hope that you and your hubbie are feeling 100 percent soon - and the yuck will go away. And stay away! Here's to a healthy March ahead of us...and lots of blue skies and warm(er) weather!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, friend. I think you would really enjoy the book. Thank you for the well wishes. I think we just may be on the downhill side of this stuff.

      Delete
  4. I really like her books and this sounds like a good one. I'm going to have to look it up!

    ReplyDelete