Thursday, February 8, 2024

Gilead ~ A Book Reveiw

 


If you enjoy reading journals or diaries, you may find gilead one that you would enjoy.  It's set in 1956 in Gilead, Iowa and gives us a look into the life of Reverend John Ames, who is 75 when the book begins but along the way celebrates his 76th birthday.  He has a wife who is much younger than himself and they have a seven year old son.  John has a bad heart and is nearing the end of his life and knows that he won't be around to watch his son grow to maturity and give him advice, so he is journaling all of the things he would wish to tell the young boy as he was growing up.

John is the third generation pastor in his family.  His grandfather was a Congregationalist and had strong inclinations about slavery.  He left the pastorate in order to be more active in that endeavor with mention being made of John Brown.  John's father was also a pastor but he did not follow in his father's footsteps in the fight against slavery.  He was more of the pacifist persuasion.  In time, John's father actually left Gilead to go south where he and his wife lived close to John's brother Edward who had built them a home on his property.

John strongly felt that God had called him to the pastorate and never left Gilead, even when his father tried persuading him to.

I found it interesting to read about the close friendship that he had with a retired Presbyterian pastor named Broughton down through the years.  The storyline actually records much about one of Broughton's sons...Jack, who was named for Reverend John.

There are parts of the book that are quite tender in the ways that Reverend Ames thinks of his son and wife and the things he observes about them.  There are other parts of the book that caused me to chuckle, particularly when he was recording about some of his conversations with Broughton.

This book was given to me as a birthday gift and I found that it took me a bit to really "get into" the book, but I think part of that could have been the fact that it is a collection of his thoughts...not necessarily as a journal with dates.  Once I got in a few chapters, it held my attention.


14 comments:

  1. I just reread my review from several years ago (https://barbaraleeharper.com/2016/01/14/book-review-gilead/) and found I had trouble getting into it as well at first. I remembered not agreeing with everything but especially enjoying the way he captures the magic and beauty of everyday moments. I think Jack figures into some of Robinson's other novels, but I haven't read any others of her books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you are right about Jack being in some of the other books. I have Lila in my TBR stack .

      Delete
  2. A seven year old son at 75...oh my. Sounds like a lovely gift...and maybe a book I could enjoy:) Hope you are having a nice day. Stay cozy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennifer, for stopping by. I hope you will enjoy the book if you decide to read it.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing this book with us Dianna, I have not heard of this book, but it sounds interesting .

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds so interesting! I'm adding it to my list - which is getting too long! I do appreciate the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, my friend. I hope you will enjoy it.

      Delete
  5. I love reading a diary. It gives you a window into the interior life of another person. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Estrella! Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment to let me know you visited.

      Delete
  6. I read that book a while ago and I don't think it captured my attention as much as I thought it would.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The books sounds intriguing. I will perhaps add it to my list. I've read a couple "diary" type books. Thank you for the review.

    ReplyDelete