Wednesday, February 7, 2024

Shepherd's Pie (Cottage Pie)

 


As you can see, I chose the Shepherd's Pie recipe from my friend Lauren in Scotland.  We have thoroughly enjoyed it.  I checked with Lauren to see if she would mind me posting the recipe and she said, "Of course you can share it!"  Without further delay here we go.  Please keep in mind that it's called Shepherd's Pie because it is made with lamb, but for us here in the US, where beef is cheaper than lamb, it is called Cottage Pie.  I made Cottage Pie.  😀 

SHEPHERD'S PIE
1 lb. Minced lamb 
5 cups (1 1/2 lb)King Edward Potatoes (I used 4 russet potatoes)


Large onion
3/4 cup mushrooms
Bay Leaf
2 Carrots
2 Tbsp. plain flour
1 Tbsp. Tomato puree
2 Tbsp. butter
4 Tbsp. milk
1/2 pint Lamb or beef stock
1/3 cup cheese

Dry fry the lamb (beef) with the chopped onion, sliced mushrooms, diced carrots and bay leaf.

Continue to fry for 8 to 10 minutes.

Add the flour and stir.

Slowly stir in the stock and tomato puree.

Cook while stirring until the mixture boils (it will start to thicken too).

Cover and simmer gently for 25 minutes.

Remove and dispose of the bay leaf.

Place lamb (beef) mixture in a large oven-safe dish.

At the same time, in another pan, boil the potatoes in water for 20 minutes, until tender.

Drain the potatoes very well.

Mash with butter and milk, mix well.

Preheat oven to 400F.

Spread mash evenly on top of the minced lamb (beef) mixture.

Sprinkle top with grated cheese.

Bake 15 to 20 minutes.

Serve hot and enjoy.

* I normally use shredded cheddar cheese on this, but I was out of it when I made this recipe.  I did have Mozzerella, so that's what I used.

22 comments:

  1. I never knew about it being called Cottage pie here because of the lamb/beef.
    Thank you for sharing this, especially because it came from Lauren!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, my friend. I have a section in my homemade recipe binder for your recipes and one for Lauren's. ☺️

      Delete
    2. So are you! We are actually having one of YOUR recipes for dinner tonight!

      Delete
  2. Alan's mum made Shepherd's Pie freqently - a recipe from her family in England. Alan learned to make it from his mother's recipe. It was always so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did she make it with lamb or beef? I'm sure it was delicious.

      Delete
  3. We've always called it Shepherd's Pie, even though we used ground beef. I don't think I have heard about Cottage Pie. Interesting! I'm used to it with a savory, almost gravy-like base, but my d-i-l makes it wit a tomato sauce base.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried it both ways, trying out several different recipes from online, but.mine and Carroll's favorite is this recipe from Lauren.

      Delete
  4. I didn't know it was called cottage pie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly didn't either until Lauren and I became good friends.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for this, my friend! My kids love this, and I never knew how to make it. It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Billie Jo. You are welcome for the recipe. I hope your family will enjoy it.

      Delete
  6. We always called it Shepherds Pie even if we used beef. I can imagine adding cheese on top of the mashed potatoes would make it even better ( cheese makes most savoury dishes better IMHO)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree...cheese does make most savory dishes better. :-)

      Delete
  7. Oh my gosh thank you so much for sharing this recipe! I was just telling my husband the other day I wanted to try making a shepherd’s pie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy that Lauren said go ahead! Sounds delicious. I have lamb shanks cooking on the stove top right now. This whole week has gotten away from me and I'm late visiting blogs! Happy Thursday to you.

    ReplyDelete