Tuesday, April 9, 2024

Genuine Kindness in the World of Business

 The words, "It's my pleasure",  will more than likely bring to mind a certain food chain.  Mr. Cathy definitely had the right idea in how to make the customer feel as though they counted.  

But have you ever wondered just how sincere those words are coming out of the mouths of the employees?

When we shop in one particular area of the town where we go to run errands, we always end up at this food chain.  

The young people behind the counter are always so polite and courteous.  

The shift manager who is working with the employees,  making sure the orders are being filled in a timely fashion, always seems to be kind and courteous with the other employees.

And then there's the "hostess" who is always pleasant and walks around to each table to see if you need anything. 

After visting this particular chain recently, I just sat and observed as I ate my lunch. 

The kids behind the counter and the shift manager were working well together.  They were laughing and encouraging one another in different ways.

The hostess was as sweet as she could be and interacting with the customers in more than just, "Is there anything you need or that I can get for you?" type of way.

The thing that stood out to me about kindness in this establishment is that it was genuine.  Anyone can say, "It's my pleasure", but it has been my experience that these people, both young and older, sincerely mean it when they say it.

As God has made me so aware of this in my search for my "One Word for 2024"...Kindness...I pray that when I say, "It's my pleasure", I will be genuinely kind.




18 comments:

  1. You certainly can tell when a cordial greeting or remark is genuine and when it's part of the "script".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those experiences seem to be rare these days. How wonderful that you have been blessed with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good thoughts on kindness. I was thinking while reading this, that a business that makes courtesy a priority is a benefit for the customers, but also the employees. I think it keeps the working environment so much more positive and keeps everyone happier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Mari, I agree with you. Our son worked for this company at one time and he would agree also.

      Delete
  4. My husband and I have often discussed how other businesses could/should observe and take lessons from that one. I read his book It's Easier to Succeed Than to Fail a few years back. When we lived near Atlanta for a few years, we were part of a home school group that was invited to go to that restaurant's headquarters for their devotional time and sing. I thought it was neat that the company had a devotional time together--I think it may have been once a week. Mr Cathy was there and handed out restaurant coupons to the kids. Then we were taken on a tour of the place. That was a neat experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I've not read his book. I'll have to check that out. What an awesome experience you were blessed with, my friend. I would have loved to have been there. Our son worked for this company, first when he was in college in a mall setting. Then at one point, he was contacted by the man he'd worked for in college and the man asked him to actually come as his General Manager for a new free-standing store that was opening up. He often teased that his dad and I should move so I could be the hostess at the restaurant. :)

      Delete
  5. I like the sound of this restaurant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's "fast food", but it's a wonderful experience when we go there.

      Delete
  6. What a nice observation. We have enjoyed this fast food spot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We always enjoy the food and service there.

      Delete
  7. there are certain cashiers who are so kind and thoughtful that they brighten my day instantly and I let them know!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so nice to shop at stores where the service is pleasant and genuine. Rare though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is becoming more rare, but that just helps us appreciate the ones that are all that much more. 😊

      Delete
  9. I agree with you that the "It's my pleasure" comments feel genuine to me too from these kids. I appreciate that it is a standard they're expected to follow. It will serve them well not only at their jobs at this establishment, but in life as well!

    ReplyDelete