Wednesday, June 26, 2024

The Last of the Maine Adventures

 The day before we left to fly home, our daughter-in-law had a fun excursion for us.  We visited the Wadsworth-Longfellow home in Portland.  I enjoyed the tour of the home so much.  

The home was first owned by Peleg Wadsworth, Henry's paternal grandfather,  who was an American Patriot officer in the American Revolutionary War as well as a member of Congress. 


 He was close friends with George Washington hence this picture of George Washington is hung in a very prominent place in the home.


This is a portrait of Henry around the time he became a professor at
Bowdoin College.

Henry graduated high school at the age of 14 and graduated from Bowdoin College at the age of 18.  He was offered a professorship upon graduating from Bowdoin, but he turned it down because he didn't feel equipped enough to do so since he didn't speak any foreign languages.

After touring Europe over a three year period, Henry returned to America having learned five foreign languages.  It was at this time that he accepted the professorship at Bowdoin College.


The Wadsworth-Longfellow house became home to many generations of that family.  Henry's sister, Anne Longfellow Pierce, lived 87 of her 90 years in this home.

She left instructions in her will that everything was to be left exactly as it was at the time of her death.  For the most part, those instructions have been carried through down to where the pictures are placed on the walls.



The kitchen was quite interesting.
It was also noted at the time of the tour that there were never any modern conviences in the home...no running water or bathroom facilities.


This is the chair where Henry would often sit and write while he was living in the home if he wasn't traveling. 
 
When he married Mary Storer Potter they moved to Brunswick Maine in 1831 where they lived for three years.  At that time, Henry was offered a professorship at Harvard, after traveling abroad again.

Mary had a miscarriage during the trip when she was six months into her pregnancy.  She did not recover from this misfortune and died a few weeks later at the age of 22.

Henry returned to the US in 1936, resumed the professorship at Harvard and was required to live in Cambridge.

He did remarry in 1843 to Frances Appleton and they had six children together.


Henry's sister Anne Longfellow Pierce was a rather sickly woman.  
This was her room, where she was able to enjoy it not only as a bedroom but also where she received guests.
I found it interesting that nieces, nephews, and grandchildren all took part in her care.















20 comments:

  1. How interesting! I didn't know all this about Longfellow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't either, Barbara, until we visited the home. He was quite the interesting chap! And his sister Anne Longfellow Pierce was quite interesting as well.

      Delete
  2. Fabulous! I have been to his grave at Mt. Auburn Cemetery in Cambridge. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember our tour guide mentioning about where he was buried, but we didn't go there while we were visiting. Maybe that is something I should put on my "list of places" for our next visit?

      Delete
  3. I love day to day insights as part of history. I'm not much about dates etc but it is so interesting (and amazing) to imagine how households ran and life "was done" in these early years of our history. Can you imagine thinking you need to know a foreign language, so you go abroad and learn five!! I feel like such a dummy:) It looks like you had a wonderful trip. Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...when we were touring the house and the guide was reminding us while we were in the kitchen that the house had no running water and about the "privy" that was out back, I just thought how spoiled I am to live in this day and age.

      Delete
  4. That is a place I would love to visit! I love touring houses, sadly my husband does not so I get to do it infrequently. Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lot of fun. The tour guide was excellent and we could ask questions. Thank you for the kind words regarding the photos.xx

      Delete
  5. I love these kind tours. A great way to soak up some history in a fun way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly is, Monica. The tour guide was wonderful.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a great place to visit. I love the rocking horse!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was a fun place to visit, Karen. I know...the rocking horse is adorable!

      Delete
  7. I would really enjoy this tour. Have you heard the story behind "I heard the bells on Christmas Day" which was written by him? Makes me wonder if the events that led to that writing happened here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I've not heard the story behind "Iheard the bells on Christmas Day". I'll have to look it up...thank you for mentioning it. Oh...and meet you in Portland? I just had to ask. ~wink~

      Delete
    2. Mari...just popping back here to tell you that I did look up the story behind "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day" and it actually was when he was living in his home in Cambridge with his six children after his wife Frances Appleton died as a result of a tragedy.

      Delete
    3. Yes! :)
      And thanks for looking up where that happened. Once you hear the story of the song, it makes the song even more meaningful.

      Delete
  8. I have read HWL's story before but enjoyed reading it here again. How fortunate we are to have all the "mod cons" that we have today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Granny M. I really enjoyed the tour. I bought a book of his most loved poems in the little shop where the tour began. And I totally agree...we definitely are fortunate to have all of the modern conviences today. A cute story to share with you about that. Our two granddaughters were complaining to their dad one evening because they had to "do the dishes". This is when they were probably 10 and 11 or so. Anyway, he told them that they should count their blessings because when he was their age and he had to "do the dishes" it didn't mean putting them in the dishwasher. lol

      Delete
  9. That was quite a good walk through all that history in this home tour and beyond. So interesting. A good tour guide makes it come alive. I'm so thankful God chose to put me in this time with all our modern perks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thoroughly enjoyed it, Ellen. And I'm with you when it comes to being born in this time with all of the modern perks! :)

      Delete