My One Word for 2026, as you know if you've been reading here this year, is self-control. It's been a challenging year for me, with plenty of opportunities to see if I am being obedient to the Holy Spirit as He brings conviction in areas of my life where there is definite need of growth when it comes to self-control.
I've struggled from the beginning with where the balance comes in between self-control as the fruit of the Spirit and our own responsibility to exercise this fruit. In my daily Scripture writing process, 2 Peter 1:4-7 caused me to do a bit of study and seeking out some commentaries. First, let me share the Scripture with you.
"For by these He has granted to us His precious and magnificent promises, so that by them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world by lust. 5 Now for this very reason also, applying all diligence, in your faith supply moral [b]excellence, and in your moral excellence, knowledge, 6 and in your knowledge, self-control, and in your self-control, perseverance, and in your perseverance, godliness, 7 and in your godliness, brotherly kindness, and in your brotherly kindness, love."
Meditating on these verses led me to a sermon by Dr. Martyn Lloyd-Jones, in which he aptly expounded on what the wrong view of faith is. "Wrong view of faith is seeing faith as something magical that requires no effort or discipline. Faith requires diligent effort and discipline."
From my notes about this, "The first cause identified is having a wrong view of faith - seeing faith as something magical that requires no effort or discipline. Faith requires diligent effort and discipline.
The second cause is laziness, indolence and a lack of discipline. Life requires discipline and effort to overcome these tendencies.
The remedies prescribed are:
Give diligence and make every effort to live a disciplined Christian life. Discipline is essential.
Supplement your faith with virtue (moral energy), knowledge (insight and understanding), temperance (self-control), patience (endurance), godliness (right attitude to God), brotherly kindness and charity (love).
Remember what you have in Christ - you are partakers of the divine nature and have escaped the corruption of the world. This should motivate you.
Diligence in the Christian life leads to assurance, joy, avoiding falls, and an abundant entrance into heaven.”
This was a help with my struggle as some had shared with me that because self-control was the fruit of the Spirit, I need not do anything.
During the month of April, I followed SHERRY'S Scripture writing plan because it dealt the entire month with the subject of self-control. I totally enjoyed this practice of reading, writing, and meditating on these Scriptures that dealt with self-control, many of which did not have the word self-control in them, but the idea was certainly there. As I was about midway through the month of April, I began to notice one very common theme, and it continued on to the end of the month. That theme was FOCUS. In all of the circumstances that the verses presented the outcome was pointing to Christ. Galatians 5:16-17 was especially helpful when it comes to FOCUS.
"16 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh. 17 For the flesh [a]sets its desire against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; for these are in opposition to one another, so that you may not do the things that you [b]please."
My notes included these thoughts, "walking by the Spirit keeps me from carrying out the desires of the flesh. A battle between the flesh and the Spirit is always going on." What I began noticing was when I keep my focus on Christ, actually taking my sin of lack of self-control back to the cross and remembering the price that Christ paid for my redemption, it increases my desire to live a life worthy of His calling me to Himself. And through that process there is a growing desire in my heart to please Him. Having a lack of self-control does not please Him and so I have begun to FOCUS on HIM rather than myself. While I don't do it perfectly every time, it is definitely making a difference.
Also, in my devotional reading by Alistair Begg, I came across these thoughts of his on anger, which I felt tied right in with "self-control".
"In many cases, a fast flow of words is the sign of a quick temper. The individual who talks a lot is often greatly opinionated and grows angry when other people don't share their strength of feeling." In his relating to James 1:20 which says, "anger does not produce the righteousness of God" in our lives. He goes on to say, "Our intensity, focus, and emphasis, if driven by self-centered annoyance or anger, do not ultimately work God's righteous purposes. It is God's Word that transforms your life. Aspire to be someone transformed: to listen well to God's word and to those around you by being slower to speak and slower to grow cross, so that you will grow in and help others grown in the kind of life that God desires."

beautiful self reflection, I have self control in some things and in other things not so much. Worrying is my demon.
ReplyDeleteFirst, thank you for your kind words of encouragement, Friend. I am fairly certain that self-control is something that we will struggle with until we pass on. And I do also understand about worrying. I don't struggle with it like I did at one time, but it does still happen. xx
DeleteI appreciate your thoughts here. I had heard that sentiment, too, that the fruit of the Spirit comes from God and therefore not from our effort. Yet other verses tell us to follow, to put on, these things. The 2 Peter 1 passage helped a lot. God has given us all things that pertain to life and godliness--they come from Him. Through the knowledge of Him--they come from knowing Him. By His great and precious promises--through His Word. The ESV puts verse 5 as "For this very reason, make every effort to supplement your faith with . . . " the qualities listed. That phrase "make every effort" has stood out to me recently. Not in our own strength, but "For the reasons" mentioned before, and coming out of being made a partaker of His divine nature.
ReplyDeleteIt's kind of like salvation, I think. We're saved by grace through faith, not our works. Yet God wants us to act on that salvation in life, to grow in Him. One of my former pastors used to say that "work out your own salvation with fear and trembling" in Philippians 2:12 meant that we don't work *for* our salvation, but we work it *out* into our lives. He likened it to a math problem--we work it out to its logical conclusion. So in our walk with the Lord, we take those high and lofty truths of holiness and work them out into our everyday lives.
Dear Barbara, thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and insights here. This means so much to me. I especially appreciate you sharing verse 5 from 2 Peter 1 in the ESV version. "Make every effort" truly does clear up a lot, doesn't it? And its never in our own strength but through Christ as our being transformed and sharing His divine nature.
DeleteI also appreciated you comparing it to our salvation. Thanks so much, my friend, for this interaction. I always enjoy hearing what you have to say because you back it up with Scripture. xx
It was good to read your thoughts and what you've learned. It has been so good to be reading MLJ's Life in Christ. More and more the admonition to not look at ourselves and our circumstances but Him and who we are in Him. To truly understand our position in Christ would obliterate grumbling. :) Less of me, more of Him. Good to hear from you, Dianna!
ReplyDeleteMLJ is always enjoyable...even when the Holy Spirit uses his teachings to bring conviction upon our lives. With him, it's always all about Christ. As our pastor says, "It's all about Christ, not us!" Thanks for your kind words, Ellen. It's a busy time of year here for us and I'm only posting once a week on Wednesdays now for a season. xx
DeleteI enjoyed your take on self-control and faith. Alistair Begg's quote was especially revealing. When we speak in anger or quickly without first measuring our words or control of emotions, then all sorts of problems arise. I find with myself that often my first reaction to something is not the best. I need to stop and process for a while until what I really think in relation to God's thoughts comes through. That is a form of self-control unto itself.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Melanie, for sharing your thoughts...especially pertaining to Alistair's quote that I shared. That split second when conviction strikes because of how we have responded to something really does lead us to much reflection...and to the foot of the cross where we reflect on the price that Christ paid for our redemption. xx
DeleteI appreciate your words here today. I really like that quote by Dr Martyn Lloyd-Jones. This is timely because I had Bible Study this morning and guess what our topic was? Self Control!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much, my friend, for your kind words of encouragement you've left for me. And how good that the topic of your Bible study was self-control this week! I don't know if it's because that is my One Word for this year, or if it's just a result of how out of control our world is right now, but I seem to be seeing more and more places where "self-control" is the topic.
DeleteI love how much thought and prayer you put into your word for the year. I think it is important to really take to heart the words that God places upon our hearts and this is exactly what you have done. I enjoyed reading your post today and learning about self-control..
ReplyDeleteMy dear Shug, thank you so much for your kind words because they do encourage me to not give up but to continue to pursue this fruit of the Spirit. Prayers continue for you and Sam.
DeleteWhen God gives us a word like self-control or patience we should be prepared for the challenges ahead. At the end of the journey, we are changed forever and God is smiling.
ReplyDeleteVisiting from One Word 2026 - May
https://mylifeinourfathersworld.com/
Oh, yes, I do understand about how it all works when God gives us a word like self-control. I knew there would be challenges...my One Word last year was "resilience". It was like the precursor to self-control for this year. And you are so right, too, in the statement that at the end of the journey we are changed forever. Growing in His grace is always life-changing and for that I am most thankful. Thank you for stopping by.
DeleteSelf-control is pretty much the most difficult thing we have to do as Christians. We even exert our selves into the idea of WHAT it is that we need to practice self-control on. I think if we keep busy on all the things Christ wants us to do, we won't have much time left over to control the things we should be controlling. :) Have a very wonderful self-controlled week. :) xxx
ReplyDeleteHello Marsha! It's nice to "meet" you. Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing your thoughts and words of encouragement. xx
DeleteThank you so much for this in-depth post sharing your thoughts and what you have learned.
ReplyDeleteAll the best Jan
You are welcome, dear Jan. And thank you for leaving behind encouraging words for me. xx
DeleteDear Karen...thank you for your words of encouragement. I'm always blessed when God uses me as an instrument of His grace. xx
ReplyDeleteChrissy, thank you for your words of encouragement that you have left for me. They truly made me smile.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful reflection. I loved the notes you took.
ReplyDeleteVisiting today from Lisa's
Thanks so much, Paula. It's lovely to have you visit here and sharing your encouraging words.
DeleteIt's so nice to see you back here blogging after your break. I hope you had a wonderful time with your son and granddaughter.
ReplyDeleteThank you for your words on self control. It's one of the fruits of the spirit that is hardest to attain.
Thanks for your kind words, Friend. I'm still just doing the Wednesday posts through the summer but with having our family here, I didn't get much blog reading done.
DeleteYou are welcome for the post. I'm learning so much about self-control that I didn't realize before.
I've been better at controlling my mouth...lol...I'm the "blurt out the truth" type of person...sometimes it's not the best of things to be. lolol
ReplyDeletehugs
Donna
I'm learning a great deal about self-control through this year, Donna. It's amazing how challenging it can be. :)
DeleteSelf control is a process I assume will last forever. We will always have new challenges to meet as we move forward. You've done a lot of reflection and I am happy that you are sharing the results with us. Best rest of the week to you.
ReplyDeleteYes, you are so right, Bill. Self-control definitely is not a "one and done" thing, but one that we will battle with until we are with the Lord, but I am thankful for the focus on it this year because I am learning and growing as a result of it. Thanks so much for stopping by.
DeleteI appreciate Dr. Martyn Lloyd-Jones' take on this, that faith is not something magical that doesn't require effort. It sounds to me like you're on the right track with practicing self-control through diligence. I appreciate your wisdom in finding the correlation between self-control and focus. You're amazing, Dianna.
ReplyDeleteI so agree...other Scriptures clearly point out our need to exercise self-control, not just wait around for it to "happen". Two years ago, my One Word was Kindness to just get me going...then last year with resilience took me a bit deeper in my walk. This year, let me tell you, has been much more challenging than even resilience. Self-control is such an interesting topic and with it comes testing's and learning processes...and growth! It's the beauty of the One Word Challenges, my friend. And I thank you for being the administrator of the challenges. God is a faithful teacher through His precious Spirit! I'm afraid that I am not amazing...it's the Jesus that we serve together who is truly amazing. But I thank you for your kind words. xx
Delete