Wednesday, June 3, 2026

From My Journal

 TODAY IS June 3, 2026

AROUND ME life has been busy.  There's been working of the flowerbeds making them a bit more presentable, decorating the home for spring/summer as well as preparing it for a visit from our son and youngest granddaughter, spending time with family, and resetting the home after they returned home, as well as reworking the flowerbeds.  There's always going to be weeds and work that needs done in the flowers.  I've done a bit of planting of some annuals in the perennial beds for some more color.

I AM PONDERING the many memories that we made while our son and granddaughter were here visiting.  They were such a blessing.  Our son did several odd jobs for us that required techy minds.  Our granddaughter was always there to help do up the dishes, to have long talks about things that are going on in her world/and mine. 

AMONG MY FAVORITE THINGS

While our family was here from Maine,
we went to Fallingwater.
If you aren't familiar, it's one of Frank Lloyd-Wright's creations.
He designed it for the Kaufman family who lived in Pittsburgh, PA
as a summer retreat for them.
If you are interested, you can read more about it HERE

Me, our granddaughter, and Strongheart


Our granddaughter and son


BOOKS I AM CURRENTLY READING Christ's Glorious Achievements by C.H. Spurgeon (It's a slow read because it's a collection of seven of his sermons), Middlemarch by George Elliot is helping me to dip my toes into the waters of the Classics, and The Good Fortune of Miss Robbins by Melanie Dickerson.

I AM THANKFUL FOR 

this new planter that Strongheart bought for me this spring!


this hanging basket of petunias that Strongheart surprised me with.


this piece of canvas art that came from our son and daughter-in-law for
Mother's Day.


NEVER TOO OLD TO LEARN
what the world is like for our young people and the exposure they have to things that I didn't dream of.  There's a reason that we often hear the phrase "BE KIND".  

FROM THE KITCHEN while I did a lot of cooking and baking while our family was here, I also made a dish before they came that I wanted to share with you.  

Salmon with Lemony Stir-fried veggies
and it was delicious!
You can find the recipe by visiting my blogging friend Jan of The Low Carb Diabetic
blog

SOMETHING I REALLY ENJOY making memories with family and friends.  This morning we will be off to a favorite restaurant to have breakfast with friends who moved from PA to SC about a year ago.  We've been friends for 50+ years, and they will be in the area for a short period of time. Looking forward to seeing them!

QUOTE FOR THE WEEK  

"It's possible to be charmed by God's Word without being changed by it."
Alistair Begg


SCRIPTURE FOR THE WEEK 




TO DO LIST FOR TODAY laundry, ironing, and many little odd jobs.

"So teach us to number our days,

so that we may present to You a heart of wisdom"

Psalm 90:12


Before I close here today, I want to thank each of you who have taken the time to continue reading here at Joyful in His Presence.  When I made the decision to just go to the one post on Wednesdays for the summer months, I wasn't sure if folks would lose interest or not.

I sincerely thank each one of you who has continued to visit and comment...even when I wasn't able to do much blog visiting or commenting on your blogs.

You've helped me to know that I've done the right thing by choosing to know when to say yes and when to say no.  Having to say no to my regular three posts a week was not an easy decision for me to make.

I just want you to know that you are appreciated and loved.



32 comments:

  1. I am so excited to read you had family visiting you!! I love when I have company and being with them and then I like putting my house back together the way it was before the company came....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for being excited with us, Karen. It had been two years since we'd seen our son and granddaughter. It was a blessing to have them here. And I hear you about loving to have people here and then also loving putting the house back together. It's a wonderful process. xx

      Delete
  2. I love that picture of Falling Waters, and of course I love the ones with your precious family. What a blessing to have that time together and then to savor the memories after they leave.
    Your petunia planter is so pretty!
    I'm off to my last Bible study for this season. Should be a good morning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fallingwater is a beautiful place for certain. Some of the features were genius. From all of the water from living in and with nature and the home being built with stone, it really was damp so I couldn't see myself living there, but the views were spectacular. SO many windows that no matter where you were in the house, you felt like you were living in nature.

      Carroll brought that petunia planter home for me as a surprise one afternoon. There's a man not far from our house who sells firewood in the winter, but during the summer this year he started selling plants that he buys from the Amish. When Carroll stuck his head in the door and said, "I brought you something", and I saw that beautiful basket of petunias I said, "I hate to ask how much you paid for that." He said,, "$6." I couldn't believe it. The hummingbirds love coming there as it is right beside one of our hummingbird feeders.
      I'm sure you enjoyed your Bible study this morning!xx

      Delete
  3. Strongheart is so tall! How wonderful to have an extended visit with your granddaughter and son. Falling water is so pretty. I'm sure you'll enjoy catching up over a meal with your lifelong friends. I love those times. Happy June to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) He is 6 ft. 1 in. I think the reason he looks so tall in the picture is because of how short I am! lol He's actually a foot taller than me.
      Yes, Ellen, we were definitely blessed to have that week with our son and granddaughter. He did so many things for us while he was here and always with a cheerful attitude. Fallingwater is a beautifully designed home. It was a fun little trip, and I learned so much about both the Kaufman's (a wealthy family from Pittsburgh PA) as well as about Frank Lloyd-Wright.
      We had a wonderful time catching up with our friends this morning over breakfast. They both look really good. It was great to catch each other up on what's been happening with our kids and our grandkids. Happy June to you, as well, my friend. xx

      Delete
  4. So glad you had a good visit with your son and his family. I had not heard of Fallingwater. It looks like a neat place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Barbara. We certainly enjoyed our time with family. Fallingwater is one of two homes in our area that was designed by Frank Lloyd-Wright.

      Delete
  5. Oh My! I just lost my comment for the second time. I'll try again.
    I loved seeing the pictures of you, Strongheart, your son and also your Granddaughter. I'm glad you had a good visit and made many wonderful memories.
    Your petunia basket is so pretty!! Have a great rest-of-the-week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry that you had difficulty when trying to post a comment, my friend, and I am ever so glad that you gave it a third try. It's always lovely to have you visit.
      We certainly did enjoy our time with our family. Making memories is what it's all about...especially when they live so far away.
      That petunia basket is special because he bought for me as a surprise. SO sweet of him. And the hummingbirds seem to enjoy it too. The opposite side of the white has red blossoms.

      Delete
  6. Glad you had such a wonderful visit with your son and granddaughter. The pictures of all were so nice to see. Love your petunia basket. I still have to get one to hang on the porch. It always attracts hummingbirds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, my friend, for your kind words regarding our family and the pictures. We certainly enjoyed that week! I wish you lived closer. There's a man just up the road from us...about halfway between us and Bruceton Mills who is selling them. He buys them from the Amish and he only charges $6 a basket for those petunias. I was amazed. With it being right next to the one hummingbird feeder the hummingbirds are loving it.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like your son and granddaughter had a great visit with you. It's nice when family comes to visit and you get to use that special time together. That salmon meal looks delicious, we eat a lot of salmon when we can find it. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We certainly all enjoyed being together, Bill. They live in Maine and we are in WV so we don't see them as often as we'd like, but we are thankful for the times we do have together and always try planning something special we can do together while they are here. This time it happened to be going to Fallingwater.
      Thanks so much for your kind words regarding the salmon meal. That was so easy to prepare and yet SO delicious! We normally have salmon on hand most of the time. My husband's brother lives in Alaska part of the time and when he brings salmon back to WV he always shares. :)

      Delete
  8. Thank you for your recent comment on the low carb diabetic and for letting me know about the accidental deletion of my earlier comment.

    I recall I commented on the lovely photograph of you, your grand-daughter and Strongheart.
    Thanks too for the link back to the salmon with lemony stir-fried veggies, it is a tasty recipe.

    Yes, it is so important to make memories and enjoy special times together with family and friends.

    Enjoy the rest of your week.
    God bless.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan, for stopping by again and leaving kind words behind for me
      again.. I am so glad you enjoyed the pictures. That was such a fun day. The family was here for a week and it rained every day they were except for the day they left. So the tour we did of Fallingwater we did in the rain. Our raincoats came in handy that day!🙂

      Delete
  9. Hello!! Oh, what a beautiful retreat place you and your family visited! How pretty! I love
    the planter! That quote… oh yes so much truth to that. Sigh. 😔
    Have a beautiful blessed rest of your week. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chrissy, for your kind words. We certainly did enjoy our time at Fallingwater. Such a unique place.
      The Alistair Begg quote is one of my favorites because it is a reminder for me to not just read God's Word, but to drink it in so that it changes me.
      Praying for you. xx

      Delete
  10. I know you enjoyed your visit with your son and granddaughter. The photo of the three of you is adorable!
    Fallingwater looks like the kind of residence Frank Lloyd Wright would create. So pretty!
    I'm saving the salmon recipe. It looks so good!
    Have a blessed week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we certainly did, my friend. We really missed them after they went home.
      Frank Lloyd-Wright was quite the designer. There were so many unique features in this home that he designed for the Kaufman family.
      You won't regret making the salmon recipe! It's delicious.

      Delete
  11. What a wonderful start to the summer you have had...so nice to have family visit! Looks like you had a great visit. I enjoyed seeing a photo of you:) I'm glad you have found a blog schedule that is working well for you. Whenever you can post, your friends will enjoy catching up. I surely do....and am always blessed when I stop by your special place here on the web!:) Have a good day, friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you, Jennifer, about having a wonderful start to the summer! Having family here meant so much. Thank you so much for your kind words of encouragement that you have left for me, my sweet friend. xx

      Delete
  12. We went to Fallingwater a few years ago on our way to Pittsburgh for a few baseball games. I'd wanted to visit there for decades and it was truly thrilling! Your planter is so pretty and I know you're having fun with that. TG and I are both grateful for our "techy" children, spouses of children, and grandchildren, haha! xoxo 🏴‍☠️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fallingwater truly is a special place, isn't it, Jenny? The mind of Frank Lloyd-Wright is brilliant in the way he designed some of those very special features that were created in order for the Kaufman family to feel as though they were living in nature. There is actually a second of Frank Lloyd Wright's creations not far from Fallingwater. It's Kentuck Knob in Chalk Hill PA. I want to be able to visit there too, hopefully, this summer or fall. I really am enjoying my planter of petunias as well as the large planter that my husband gave me this spring. I stopped over at your blog a few minutes ago and saw how you have changed things up...very nice! xx

      Delete
    2. When we were at Fallingwater and talking to some folks, I learned of his building named Polymath which is nearby. I didn't know about Kentuck Knob. What a fascinating person and the tragedies! Ugh what happened at Taliesin! I'd like to go there too. And the fall is absolutely the only time to go! I was forced to switch things up because the blogging platform I have used since 2007 no longer supports the version I use, although they promised in writing that they always would. You can't comment there anymore so I'm going to do a slow transition to Blogger. xoxo 🏴‍☠️

      Delete
    3. Jenny, thank you for letting me know about Polymath Park. It's closer to Pittsburgh than our area. I had no idea that there was another so close by. Yes...the tragedies are so sad. Talisen was so sad. Yes, fall would definitely be the time to visit there in Wisconsin. I'm sorry that you had to switch your blogging platform. Blogger has its moments, but I stay with it because that's what I started out on and I don't care for change. lol xx

      Delete
  13. It sounds like you've had a wonderful, if busy, time with family. And it's so nice to be able to chat to the young ones. I enjoyed all your flower pictures, it's winter here so it's nice to see some pretty colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We certainly have had a wonderful time so far this summer. It's been busy, but its all gooxxd.

      Delete
  14. Oh, what a beautiful, jam-packed journal entry! Your week was absolutely bursting at the seams with love, family, and wonderful memories. First off, please don’t ever worry about cutting back to one post a week for the summer. We are your blogging family, and we completely support you knowing when to say "no" to protect your peace and enjoy your life! You are so loved and appreciated right back.
    It feels like your son and granddaughter were the absolute perfect houseguests. Having a tech-savvy mind around the house is always a massive blessing (those odd jobs can be so frustrating!), but those sweet, long talks with your granddaughter while doing the dishes must have absolutely filled your grandmother-heart to the brim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melody, I want to begin by thanking you for your heartfelt comments that you leave behind for me when you visit. We certainly did enjoy having our son and youngest granddaughter visit with us. It had been two years since we'd seen them, and it was good to just soak in all of the family time we possibly could. Thank you for your support in my changing up my blogging schedule for the summer. That means so much to me. I've not been able to do much blog visiting so I need to pop over and see what you've been up to. I trust that your summer is going well. xx

      Delete
  15. The sculpture is very nice. Glad you had a good time on the outing. I enjoyed your flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brenda, for stopping by and letting me know you were here. xx

      Delete

Please say hello to let me know you stopped by for a visit.

Lemon Pork Chops