Thursday, September 26, 2024

The Effects of Kindness

 Desiring to go a bit deeper on the effects of kindness, I spent some time doing a bit of research and found some interesting tidbits that I thought would be worth sharing here to document, not only for myself, but to share with any who stop by here.

One thing that I hadn't considered before is that kindness is often taught by parents to their children.  When I thought back over my childhood, I would have to agree with that idea.  My parents were some of the kindest people that I have ever met.  They both would have given anyone who needed it the shirt off their back, as the saying goes.  I observed that time and time again in the way they treated my grandparents and then with my mother as she worked as a lab manager in a research lab at WVU.  She was often buying items to help grad students get settled in their new home...especially those from different cultures, rejoicing with them over new babies in their families, etc.  My dad was the same way in opening up our home to others.

I also learned that studies show kindness interventions can help improve our well-being with comparable results as teaching gratitude.  That is such a powerful thought and when I think back over the times in my life when people have shown me kindness, regardless of how small the act was, it did instill thankfulness and gratitude in my heart.  I have always viewed such acts of kindness as "I love Yous" from Jesus.

In this day of fast paced living, kindness can be neglected.  However, when they aren't forgotten, and kindness is put into action, the actions give off positive effects in the brain, which in turn improves our mood and causes us to think of ways that we can pay it forward.

I did find also that, not only are these random acts of kindness spontaneous, but there are actually organizations and days set aside to put kindness into action.  As examples think "pay it forward", random acts of kindness that are non-premediated acts to cheer up others.  There's actually a Pay It Forward Day! There is a group known as Random Act of Kindness and there is also The Kindness Offensive North London group known for random acts of kindness for our friends who are part of the UK.

I must say that this year of discovering more about kindness has been a most fulfilling endeavor!




10 comments:

  1. I enjoyed hearing about the kindness you witnessed from your parents as a child. Demonstrating it is the best way for our kids to learn it, and you did!
    I believe that people who are kind to others are also happier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Mari. There are actually studies that have proven that people who are kind to others are also happier people.

      Delete
  2. I agree that kindness must be taught - not by words so much by actions. Children watch their parents and grandparents and they are little sponges as to how they later view their world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes ..by actions. It definitely has an impact on their world view.

      Delete
  3. Watching others give kindness can teach others the how and why of it all...sweet post!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. An act of kindness has no boundaries, it can spread and show others how to be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It doesn't take any special talent or skill to be kind. Anyone can be kind, from young to old. :)

    ReplyDelete